It may not have been obvious to anyone at the Holy Trinity Baptist Church of Amityville that particular Sunday morning, that they were part of a God ordained assignment set to enrich the spirit and soul. When we were alerted to Reverend Dr. Kevin M. Northam’s visit to Long Island from Dinwiddie, VA, my husnand and I knew that would be a great opportunity to worship with, and possibly bond with extended family members from Virginia. This turned out to be a dot-connecting experience for us on October 9, 2016, as Reverend Northam set out to explain the role of love in the lives of believers based on Matthew 15: 21-28 (A mother desperately seeking help for her child).
“Somebody probably told her the Lord is good…but we need to do research for ourselves. You’ve got to get to know him for yourself”
On the mindset of the mother seeking help for her daughter
* “She could not solve or handle her child’s problem, so she went to the problem solver …She followed Jesus.”
* “She went to Jesus out of her love for her child – when we love someone, we will go to all lengths to seek help for them.”
A word for the church
* “The disciples said: ‘Send her away for she cries after us.’ ‘We don’t even know her name…all you need to know is that the Lord knows your name.’”
* “This woman could say to us, ‘You might not think much of me because when Matthew wrote about me, he didn’t even mention my name.’”
* “All you need to know is that the Lord knows who you are. I am glad she is not like some church folk. Some church folk would say; wait a minute Matthew, you need to write this again. Do you want me to spell my name for you…?”
* “There are a lot of folk in the Bible that the Lord blessed…and we don’t even know their names.”
* “The disciples wanted to send her away and reported that, ‘she cried after us.’ They had the audacity to say, ‘she crieth after us.’ The disciples asked Jesus to send her away… everybody does not have to get your approval.”
* “We have to be careful in the church. That’s the problem with the church today. Folks have it mixed up. They did not come there for you. They come there for God…….”
#Serious condition #Secondary character #He was testing her
I want to note that the sacredness of the message Dr. Northam delivered on how love makes a difference was upheld at the post-service dinner. This, my husband and I, received as an experience that the DOCTOR prescribed – particularly as a birthday week treat – a perfect prelude to another birthday for my husband as we celebrate God’s love for us as evidenced by the manifestation of his healing power.