I thank God for sparing my husband’s life for one more year as he celebrates his birthday today.
This is a concept I do not take lightly as I dedicate this day – with a warm embrace – to everyone who has at one time or the other made the RIGHT DECISION and COMMITMENT to join their loved ones in their fight to stay alive.
For those who have not as yet experienced what I am talking about, I respectfully ask the following of you:
1. That you navigate this day (and everyday if you can) with unconditional love. Do not show “love” in anticipation of what you will get in return.
2. That you add Compassion to your ‘how to’ list in your dealings with others who are “going through”.
3. That you develop the willingness to gain understanding when in doubt about a situation or an issue. Ignorance as an excuse has gone out of style!
4. Show kindness towards your fellow human being; for your day will come when kindness from others would be worth a lot more than all the gold and diamonds in the world.
5. Take time out to imagine how you would like to be treated by those with whom you have broken bread if you were fighting for your life and working at fending off physical and mental fatigue – two by products which are generally overlooked by those in denial.
6. Please refrain from telling yourself that you bring no value to this equation for “they appear to be strong and have it all under control”.
“Strength is only relevant to the equation when the weight bearing elements are healthy, well-oiled, in place and ready to subscribe to the task at hand.” -A Madonarism by Madona Cole-Lacy-
I end with wishes and prayers that my husband will celebrate more meaningful moments with me and others who love him.